Criteo, the performance marketing technology company, today reveals that almost half (48.9 percent) of all UK eCommerce transactions now take place on mobile devices, up six percent year-on-year.
Criteo’s new UK mobile commerce findings – part of the company’s study of 1.4 billion online transactions – also reveal that in Q1 2016:
- iPhones have now leapfrogged iPads as the UK’s primary device for mobile commerce. A fifth (19 percent) of all UK eCommerce transactions now take place on iPhones, up seven percent in the year following the launch of Apple Pay.
- Four in ten (39 percent) UK eCommerce transactions now involve multiple devices along the path to purchase.
- The most advanced UK retail industries in the journey towards mobile commerce are fashion and luxury (55 percent of all ecommerce transactions took place on mobile), mass merchant (50 percent) and home (46.8 percent).
- Apps continue to be the main force driving mobile commerce, constituting 65 percent of transactions on mobile devices around the world, with 35 percent taking place on the mobile web.
The findings are accompanied by a new report, written by Ovum’s Principal Analyst, Eden Zoller, ‘The Future of E-commerce: The Road to 2026’, exploring the trends that Ovum predicts will shape the retail landscape in the next ten years. The report covers the technologies that will have the biggest influence, the parts of the value chain that will be most impacted by change, and the blurring boundaries between physical and online retail.
“It’s clear the retail industry is undergoing an unprecedented wave of disruption and innovation” said Eden Zoller, Principle Analyst, Ovum. “Changing consumer behaviour along with key technology developments such as AR and AI* are having a profound influence on retail dynamics. As retail becomes ever more mobile-centric, the range and depth of customer data insights will continue to grow, enabling a richer, contextual view of consumers that will provide retailers with new business models and ways to engage. As retailers prepare for the road to 2026, they will need to create ever more persuasive, interactive, personal brand experiences”
“Consumers now expect a highly personalised experience at all stages of the purchase journey” said Jon Buss, Managing Director, Northern Europe, Criteo. “With mobile now accounting for almost half of all ecommerce transactions in the UK, the successful retailers will be those who can target people rather than devices, delivering tailored and personal shopping experiences that span digital and in-store.”
*Augmented Reality (AR), Artificial Intelligence (AI)
Overview of Ovum’s “The Future of E-commerce: The Road to 2026” report
The report covers the following areas:
Welcome to the consumer of the future:
- How the desire for real shopping experiences, instant access and 24/7 turnaround will impact the retail environment, in addition to how the traditional notions of a universal, linear shopping journey will be completely redundant by 2026.
Pure play and physical retail: blurring boundaries:
- Exploring how online will move into the “real world”, while physical retail spaces will be more focused on building brand awareness directly with consumers, with less emphasis on “take home” product transactions.
Towards a mobile-centric retail experience
- The transformative impact of mobile on the retail environment – from contextual location, to mobile payments and mobile-first advertising.
The rise of contextual commerce and curated shopping experiences
- How new and multiple data sources are combining to give 3D view of consumers, driving the evolution of predictive analytics and new business models. The impact of digital assistants that will become increasingly sophisticated thanks to AI.
Close up on key technologies that will shape retail
- Exploring which technologies will have the biggest impact on retail – from M2M to wearables, AR and 3D printing.
- Why Ecommerce Businesses Must Be Mobile to Be Successful
- Top 3 Ecommerce Mobile Marketing Trends To Look Out For
- Mobile Commerce Growth Is Outpacing Desktop eCommerce